Saturday, July 7, 2012

Stormy Run

I finally got fed up with putting off my runs due to the heat today. I stepped outside and realized that we had just received a little sprinkling of rain but the clouds were off to the north east and I assumed that the storm had all but missed us.

It was 102 degrees when I headed out, my plan was to just run an easy 4 miles and take some walk breaks if I started to get too hot. I felt a few sprinkles here and there but assumed that that was all I would get. About mile two the weather changed quickly. The rain started coming down harder and the wind started blowing. It was actually quite refreshing. Then somewhere around the 2 to 2.5 mile mark, a huge crack of thunder went over my head and the skies opened up. It was pretty exhilarating! It felt great to have the cool rain coming down. I was really grateful for the shower because like many areas in the Midwest, it has been dry as a desert around here.

The rain was coming down in sheets and the wind was blowing at my face, it reminded me of the part in the movie Caddyshack when the Bishop was having the game of his life during the middle of a major storm.

If you don't know or don't remember what I am talking about here is a great clip of the scene.

Scene from Caddyshack, one of my all-time favorite movies.

Although it was a little scary at times because the rain was so heavy, I managed to actually run back out of the storm and made it home safely. 

Crazy runners....


No comments:

Post a Comment