Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Endless Winter Continues

Today's run concludes week 6 of my marathon training plan. It has already been an interesting and rewarding journey of extreme temperatures and creative time management to get to this point. So here are my random updates.

WINTER RUNNING
This winter has been especially harsh. We have had a total snowfall this year of about 58 inches and way too many days below zero. My coldest run to date that I can remember was -15 with the windchill and -11 without wind. As I noted in an earlier posting, I invested in some winter running gear so that I wouldn't have to be a slave to the treadmill all season. Three layers on top have kept me plenty warm including a basic Under Armour long sleeve base layer, a Mizuno Breath Thermo Running Crew, and a RRS Jacket. To keep the legs warm I have a pair of Adidas tights and a pair of Under Armour wind stopping pants that I alternate. I keep my feet warm with Mizuno Breath Thermo socks, and stay sure footed on the icy days with Yaktrax. Next winter I will invest in better gloves, my hands stay warm most of the time, but I struggle on the really cold days.

LOGGING THE MILES
Sticking to my training plan has not been too bad so far. I just have to do some planning ahead to get the miles done. I have only been running 30-35 miles a week so far but next week it jumps up to 40 and will increase to 50 miles for some weeks. I will have to do some creative scheduling to get these future runs accomplished, but it will happen.

RUNNING BUDDIES
I have been very fortunate to have some great running buddies the last year or so. I started out with Jeff who talked me into signing up for my first marathon. After he was injured I started running with Jenn who has become an insane future triathlete who is logging miles on her new bike and quickly learning how to swim. She now has a coach that has her using heart rate training. Both of them have gone in a different direction with their training so I have been forced to look for someone else that I can train with. Today I met up with a small group of people that belong to the Sioux Falls Area Run Club. It wasn't easy getting up at 5am on a Sunday to run, especially since it was going to be 20 degrees warmer in just a few short hours, but I am glad I did it. I met four great people and had a nice time. That is certainly one of the side benefits of running, meeting new people that share a similar passion. I am lucky to have great friends like Jeff and Jenn and looking forward to meeting more people through the club.

MISC. TRAINING NOTES
This year I have been focusing on adding cross-training to my regimen. That's cross-training, NOT cross-dressing. Anyway, I joined the Y last fall so that I could participate in some of the classes. Being able to work out with other people really helps keep me motivated. I have been taking a class called Power Pump which typically consists of low weight high rep weight lifting including squats, push-ups, lunges, and more. It was a little tough to get used to at first, but I really enjoy it now. The other class that I occasionally attend is  Sports Conditioning on Sunday. This class kicks my ass every time. I only go after I forget how painful it can be. It is a constant hour of marching in place, squats, lunges, push-ups, jumping, and more at a high intensity. It's a great workout but can be quite humbling. Both of these classes have definitely increased my upper body strength and I like to think that they have made me a better runner.

I am now a third of the way through my training plan and as of today's writing have 82 days until the Fargo Marathon. It's nice that I keep hearing positive comments about what a great marathon it is and how well it is organized. I am looking forward to this and hope to have a better experience and outcome.

2 comments:

  1. Shoes are an indispensable thing in my life. I wear frye molly
    when I go out, change slippers when I go home, and wear prescribed school shoes when I go to school... In short, shoes occupy an important place in our lives.

    frye leather will have different feelings. Summer shoes are cooler, while winter shoes are warmer; high-heeled shoes are more tiring and can damage your ankles, and are easy to twist your feet. Flat shoes are more comfortable; frye melanieare easier to wear, and smaller shoes are worn. Will grind the feet. So only if the shoes fit the feet, they will be comfortable to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want a stronger vision, you can choose a lighter gray. Decreasing the saturation of the iris will make you look cool. The rainbow lenses will have a blue tone and a "hybrid" feeling. Exotic color style
    Black, gray and brown are the buy rainbow colored contact lenses, which meet the needs of Asian girls for natural makeup. Everyone knows that Europeans and Americans have colored irises, so when expressing some exotic makeup, I will choose the big blue and big green models that match them.
    Using makeup techniques to deepen the contours of the eyes, coupled with the most important cute contacts, the eyes really look like Europeans and Americans.
    For the same Frozen ELSA imitation makeup, I also used blue color contact lenses.

    ReplyDelete