Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Finding My Groove

After taking a good month or so off from running (and gaining about 20 lbs.) I think I am back. The foot isn't perfect, but it is a whole lot better than where I was.

My comeback started on April 28 with the Hy-Vee Road Races half marathon. I had been signed up for this for quite some time, so after not running for about a month I decided what the heck, and went for it. Other than my very first half marathon, this is the only time that I ran a race with no intentions of competing or finishing with a specific goal in mind other than to finish. I ended up running most of it with a friend/ coworker and ran my slowest half marathon ever. It wasn't easy, but it was fun and helped to motivate me.

After the half marathon I took another week off and started back training in earnest on Monday May 6. My goal is to come back easy, and carefully rebuild my strength and stamina in time for the Mankato Marathon in October.

I am measuring and monitoring my run distance by time and pace by heart rate. It's a significantly slower pace than what I would typically run, but I am trying to do this right.

Training for May 6 - 12

Monday - Thursday 30 minutes at or below 140 bpm
Friday - Saturday rest days
Sunday - 40 minutes at or below 140 bpm
All run days have included stretching after the run and some form of strength training. I have been mixing it up with push-ups, lunges, planks, etc. Trying hard to be well rounded.




No comments:

Post a Comment